The Highway 89 Stewardship Team formed to provide research, outreach education & mitigation of animal-vehicle collisions, with the goal of developing exportable tools & techniques useful worldwide.
Watch videos about the road ecology project.
The team includes:
• Sierra County Fish and Wildlife Commission,
• Sierra County,
• USDA Forest Service: Tahoe National Forest & Pacific Southwest Research Station,
• California Department of Fish and Game,
• California Department of Transportation (Caltrans),
• University of California Cooperative Extension,
• UC Berkeley-Sagehen Creek Field Station,
• California Deer Association,
• University of California, Davis.
We now have a GPS-collared deer herd & high school outreach program in place. The program hired an outreach coordinator & a science advisor. The first mitigation effort—a wildlife underpass—is now under construction at Kyburz Flat just up the road from Sagehen.
• Scientists Hope To Learn From Underpass Project, FS Today.
• Animal X-ing, Sierra Sun.
• Sierraville (California) Highway 89 stewardship team: ahead of the curve, Proc. of the 2005 International Conference on Ecology and Transportation